Saturday, December 14, 2019

How many bricks and where do I get the from.

This latest blog post is in reply to a question I got yesterday, I am never short with my answers, and as I will reply when I put this link on to the tweet, the biggest issue I have, is that if you ask me the time. I will normally tell you how the clock is put together.

How many bricks have I used so far?

I wish I knew precisely, I am that sort of person, and I did have an idea to set a little section at the side to state "How many bricks". I have tried looking back through what I have ordered, but I have some in bags ready for the future. Currently have the remainder of 900 seats which I bought. So what I have bought and would I have used is 2 different things.

But just for doing the letters in the back wall it was 720. I would say I have got through over 5,000 bricks so far. The whole stadium is looking like it is going to be a lot bigger than I first thought. Not, that it is off putting, it is quite interesting to see it grow, and the only real disappointment is when I run out of bricks.

There is also the question of what do I do with a large stadium, it has no practical use, but it is good to look at, I also envisage that like a painting I will always be adding new bits to it. The original idea has changed at least 3 times already. each time with a bigger design.

Where do I source my bricks from?

I was naive, and was unaware of Lego specific sites. I did look at the official Lego website, but that would have been far too expensive. I did start on EBAY, picking up my first Lego football set. But there again I got impatient and if I had only waited I could have bought the same set for a third of the price a week later.

I got savvier and now look for bundles, I have also got wise to the last minute sniping. I used to put a low bid on an item, hoping that I had got a bargain then with 60 secs to go an offer would come in 10p more than mine and got the item. You can it seems buy a computer programme to put offers in with a minute to go so no one can respond to it. I now set a maximum bid for an item. It also helps with getting carried away. I don't win a lot as I don't wish to spend much, but it makes it all the better when you do get an item.

Bricklink though has been very useful, as long as you know the code for the brick, and I have my shopping list in the side bar >>>>>. I am lucky by being in the UK, and there is quite a few sellers. I narrow down my search to the UK sellers only, as you might find something really cheap from abroad but it can cost you twice as much if not more again to get the item posted to you. I have just broken this rule recently, as a seller in Poland had a lot of cheap bricks which when the price doubled due to shipping it still worked out cheaper than what anyone had them in the UK. Only issue now is waiting for them, and they have been slow.

There is a lot more Lego brick sites, and BrickLink has just been bought out by Lego, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds. I am always happy to look at other sites if anyone can recommend them.

As for the time. depends, The clock through history has developed from the simple sun dial through to........................

Go run, I never stop wittering on in real life, just lets say it is ten minutes on from when you asked me the time.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment